Sunday, December 04, 2005

procrastinating...

I'm writing two papers right now. One on L'Abri, an intentional Christian community and how they seek to live out the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) and another one on the last two stanza's on the Lord's prayer. "Forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors, and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one." 4000 words each. Then I need to read two texts... about 200 and 300 words respectively. Write one more annotation (~300 words), and study for an exam.

My due dates... December 9th (books), 14th(exam), 16th(papers).

Why is it that when I really need to concentrate, I find other things to do? I've been sitting at this computer or near this computer for about 14 hours today. I spent much of it surfing the internet because I'm looking for something to capture my interest. Reading people's blogs, checking email (no mail), checking again (no mail)... and then again (still no mail). I'm pretty pathetic when I'm procrastinating.. Like why am I blogging in the wee hours of the morning? I've got a few hundred more words to read before I can sleep...

What motivates you? Care to share?

Perhaps my impending doom should be a motivating factor... but it ain't creating a fear that it should...

Bless you in your studies too... if you study... may you have better success than moi!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha...yes, procrastination is a common pitfall of students today (or any day for that matter).
let's see...well...sometimes i have to get AWAY from home in order to study more efficiently...although, that doesn't always work if i have papers to write (in that case, i'm pretty much screwed and don't finish my paper til the last possible minute). but yeah, if you have stuff to read, go to a coffee shop or library or whatever.

another strategy that one of my friends uses is goal-setting. she'll either reward herself when she's completed the goal OR punish herself if she hasn't (ie. no TV for a week) i guess it's effective for her...hehe