Wednesday, April 05, 2006

inheritance from the 'rents

Yep.

I'm already thinking about my inheritance!

My inheritance from my parents!


No, not that kind...

As a child, I use to think it was the drawer of life-time guarantee Tupperware that we have. It probably still is... but aside from that, what else is my inheritance?

From my granny, I remember writing her Tribute at her funeral and saying persistence and persevering prayer is from my granny... and grandpa for that matter... they were truly intercessors!

As a child, I'd come into the house running up the stairs loudly, yelling "mama" [granny in Chinese] only to find granny kneeling at her bedside in fervent prayer.

Many times we thought granny had fallen asleep or died while praying for her meal.

We'd have to look to see if she was still breathing... granny was just praying! She'd soon look up, flash us her teethless smile and then eat!
[aw, I love my granny! Miss her tons, but she's got her teeth back and she's dancin' up a storm in heaven with gramps]

From my mum, gotta say hospitality. Even though it's not one of my "gifts," I know how the ins and outs of feeding the hundreds and "small" parties. Growing up, it was great. Dad invited lots of people over, as he was very social. And mum cooked, served, and loved being hospitible to people! I use to say that watching her makes me tired... but now I'm learning that it's something that she loves and it gives her energy and makes her happy.

It works out great, because good food makes me happy too! That's why we're a family! Mum feeds, I eat!

From dad, gotta say I got his wit and quick words. Hehe... We're fast thinkers and can make almost anyone laugh. We can twist things and contort words to please a crowd.

Perhaps we're bad at arguments [we don't have much of a point nor are we clear], but we are good conversationally. We can "play-argue" for hours without a point. It's rather humorous from others point of view. Then he has to give me a hug because he can't help but laugh too.

And oh, my unsurmountable beauty comes from neither side.. it was divine.

Ha =)

What's your inheritance?

1 comment:

spinacci said...

From my mom, I think it's teaching children. Ever since I was young, she's been babysitting kids and I seen and learned the ins and outs of what works and doesn't work. And after teaching at KC last Friday, it's still with me.

From my dad, I think it's music. My dad always sings. I guess that got that from him. I was introduced to music early on and didnt' really appreciate it until I was in grade 2-3. I think that's when God planted that seed in my heart to worship.