Friday, October 21, 2005

being chinese

A few weeks ago I went to a Streams of Praise worship night. It was completely in Mandarin. I went with Sylvia who brought her friend Jen... who's Caucasian but spent a few years in Taiwan. Her Mandarin was so much better than mine! She knew all the songs!!! And I could only read bits and pieces...

But the spirit of the place was something that just gripped me. I loved it. I love(d) seeing Chinese people sing with passion, lift their hands... I love the "full sound" of Chinese worship...

It's odd for me to come to this place where I can say this.

Spending most of my life, thus far, being anti-Chinese... now I've totally swung the opposite way and I'm embracing it... more than that... I'm proud to be ME.

Albeit shocking, Chinese was the first language I learned.
There's something about worshipping God in your "native" language. In India I witnessed the Bible college students come alive when worshipping with their Telugu songs. They wanted to learn our western worship songs, but the entire room and dynamics changed when their cultural worship songs were sung.

Perhaps that's why it felt so "at home" at that worship night.

Or maybe my heart is continuing to change...

I love being ME. Thank you Jesus for makin' me...ME! (a Psalty song!)

Too bad I didn't inherit the brains of the Chinese folks! Where are my smart genes? :p

1 comment:

kerche said...

you're not the only lacker.
...boohoo :(