Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Seven to Eight servings of Fruit and Veggies?

The Canadian Food Guide recommendations are pretty steep, if you ask me.

I tried to meet the "standard" today.

I made a fruit juice out pureeing a pear, apple, orange, handful of frozen strawberries, and a small kiwi. That should be enough, right?


Nope.

Each fruit is one serving.
It made about 1.25 L of a thick, "Jugo juice-like" drink. I drank about 800ml of it. That was maybe 3.5 servings?

Plus I ate cheese with toast.


For lunch I had leftovers--beef noodle soup, with my favourite, cow's stomach. Yum! I added about a cup and a half of "sui choy" making for a delish lunch.


Count that, five (5) servings thus far.

And I've already eaten my quota of meats.

Then rolls in dinner. Rice, tofu mixed with fish, and my ultimate fav, "gai lan."

I ate 1.5 cups of greens here.


Count that, 6.5 servings of veggies.
I was done for the day. Incredibly full.

Final count:
6.5/7 servings of Veggies, and this was with a conscious effort

5/6 servings of "Grains"
2/2 servings of "Milks"
4/2 servings of Meats

And this not including snacks.
Evidence as to why I'm steadily packing in the pounds.

No comments: